Thursday, December 18, 2008

Hans Device Sliding Quick Release Tethers and other News

The biggest news from Hans for 2009 are the new Quick Disconnect Sliding Tether Set. Ever since the Sliding Tethers were released by Hans early 2008, customers have been asking for a Quick Disconnect option. A year later and it's ready! In an ingenious piece of simplicity (in my opinion) the Quick Disconnect unit is connect directly to the helmet - you might remember that the fixed quick disconnect unit used a "broken" tether that attached midway on the tether assembly. The add-on kit was available for trial at PRI and it works as simply as it should. I apparently was too tired to take pictures (9 hours of wandering a trade show will do that to you), but here is the press photo from Hans:



In other news, Hans is also introducing a new, less-expensive tether option for all new Hans Devices. Called the "fixed" tether, this style does away with all quick release tethers and anchor sets and permanently attaches the Device to the helmet. When asked about the awkwardness of this, I was told that a good percentage of device users NEVER separate the two (please 'fess up - does this describe you?) Devices with this option will start around $645 for a Sport model. Again, some press photos:



Both options and retrofit kits should be available January 2009.

3 comments:

laz said...

I've had my hans connected to my helmet all season. I like the option of disconnecting, but I didn't use it until I recently left the track car at home and did a track day in a street car. I didn't see the point of a hans with a 3 point belt, but if I didn't have the option of disconnecting it probably wouldn't have been a big deal.

Anonymous said...

Any news on availability? I need quick release for easier egrees. But I'd really like sliding tethers for better vision.

stevewu88@gmail.com said...

Mark - Just heard from Hans that these should be shipping later this week. Look for it on the ogracing website before then!