Thursday, April 23, 2009

Arai GP-6?

I've been hearing about the new Arai GP-6 since last year. However, any news regarding the Arai auto line is pretty non-existent in the U.S. The helmet came to my attention again after seeing that Racing Optics is already listing tear-offs for this model. I had to go and find a picture:

Arai GP-6 Helmet

The safe assumption for now is that if we get this helmet in the states, we won't see it until the Snell SA2010 helmets start production. In fact, word on the streets is that we probably won't be seeing much of any Arai helmets until that standard gets here! I also wouldn't expect the pricey $4000+ carbon version to get here. As this is one of a few helmets that pass the FIA 8860:2004 standard, only a select group of F1 drivers are sporting this fancy thing.

3 comments:

PMFDave said...

For $4k I'd want them to fly me to Japan and make a mold of my head for the purpose of fitting! But doesn't it look sweet?

I have three Arai motorcycle helmets and they fit me like a glove. Looking forward to seeing their auto line on the shelves soon.

Anonymous said...

i own a gp-5 rc. it cost around $5,900 back in 2004 when i got it new. i'd imagine the gp-6 would naturally cost around %25 more.

Anonymous said...

All the GP-6 helmets have been available since January 2010. It is just hard to find much information on the auto lines from Arai. The new GP-6RC is actually less than the older one but is still pricey at $4995. But you can get the normal GP-6 for around $1400. I have tried a couple on and they are great helmets and the changes over the GP-5 helmets are great.